Pages

Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Summer manifesto


Well, friends... it's official! I am on summer vacation. Today is my first day off {not counting the long weekend} and it's a pretty fabulous feeling. I hung out in my nightie and flip-flops all morning yesterday, even when I went out to water the garden. After all the madness of the past few months, I fully intend to make the most of July and August, and soak up every second. And so, in keeping with that theme {and because I was inspired by Mary of The Yellow Door Paperie}, I've decided to write a Summer Manifesto. Here's how it's shaping up so far:
  • Keep calm and carry on, for real. I say it all the time, but I act on those words far too seldom, and end up getting all worked up about goodness knows what. This summer, I am not going to let stuff bug me. I've got far more important things to do! {read on...}
  • Picnic. A lot. The boys love to go on a picnic, and so do I. I think we'll try to get outside to eat at least once a week. We'll try new foods and new locations each time.
  • Write letters. Long ones. {Canada Post was on strike for most of June, so I've gotten out of the habit of writing. Time to get back into it.}
  • Use the herbs and greens from our garden. Eat them in salads every day. Make my own salad dressing, and buy a baguette to go with them once in a while. Yum!
  • Practice French with Dylan {and Sawyer, who's just as keen}. Sing French songs, read French books, label things around the house {good idea, Brandi!}
  • Make lemonade. And iced tea. Drink them in tall glasses with paper umbrellas.
  • Limit TV and computer time. Spend as much time outdoors as we can. Ride bikes, go for long walks, lay down in the tall grass, pick flowers for the kitchen table.
  • Introduce the boys to more of my favourite books. This summer I'd really like to read Charlotte's Web to them.
  • Get back into running. It feels good.
  • Invite people over. Playdates for the kids, dinner and drinks for the adults. 
  • Hang out with my husband. Laugh together.
  • Take deep breaths. Think before I speak. Have more patience with people, especially my kids.
  • Get more sleep. Nap when I feel the need.
  • Don't just say I'm going to do things. Actually do things. Now... where's my picnic basket? 
How about you? Do you have a summer manifesto?

image via gingerlilytea

11 comments:

  1. I think your summer manifesto sounds absolutely spectacular. Yay for letters. I should send you thing now that your mail is back. Lots of reading, picnics and learning French sounds fabulous. Your list is just great. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Erin this all sounds so wonderful!! Books and letters and naps perfection. Have a wonderful break you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a brilliant manifesto! Mine includes spending lots of time reading out on my new patio, baking lots of treats, making a few new summer cocktail recipe, buying a kayak and exploring some local lakes, going camping later this summer, and to finish at least two or three more books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm jealous of your summer already!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your entire manifesto! I need to go back and look at some of my goals for summer now. :)

    I have so many things to say after reading your list - I'll try and remember some.

    1) Your post was on strike?? I can't imagine that happening here... It's government run and I guess they COULD strike (?) but I just can't see it happening.

    2) I so agree with you about less computer and tv time. I've never been a huge tv watcher. Growing up I only had 5 channels and since college I've never had a tv in my room. If I had my way I wouldn't have a single tv when I got out of college except for one big one to watch movies on with friends when we through movie nights. My problem is the computer. I like blogging and I think it's a really positive experience for me so no problem there but I just deleted my facebook yesterday temporarily. After having such a great time this weekend and realizing that I don't get that very often I want to go out and EXPERIENCE things. I don't need a facebook for right now. I'm only going to miss looking at photos of places people travel too.

    3) You can never have enough lemonade and tea.

    4) I want to get back into my reading roots too. This past week I've done a fantastic job of this (reading Mao's Last Dancer and starting in on Life of Pi) but I want to enforce it. Deleting online accounts might help me read as well as get outside more.

    5) Picnic. Awesome. Enough said.

    6) Keep calm and carry on is a great motto. I'm considering getting a print of it to hang up in my room somewhere. I didn't really think about it much until Bethany sent me a little organizer in the mail with that motto on it. Then I realized how true it was that we all need to stay calm and push through to better things!

    Sorry for the huge response but your manifesto got me thinking! Good luck with all of it and I'm sure you can implement a lot of these ideas into every day life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a fantastic idea!! and even though they're on your to-do lists, i love that it's not all "reminders" but fun stuff that one would be excited to do (like picnics). such a great idea from brandi! ;)

    i've missed your letters (thank you canadian strike!) that i'm excited at the thought of going to my mailbox and finding your handwriting :) your letters are my favourite.

    i'm def. adding running/gym time to my manifesto and yes on limiting tv/computer time because i know sometimes it takes from being with my husband and laughing with him (love that one too btw!)

    reading more too. i just finished "something blue" after "something borrowed" and loved it!!! easy summer reading :)

    cheers to your holidays!!! and making each moment count.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you've made a list about what you want out of summer. I hope you get it all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your manifesto is inspiring! I think I need one of my own. :) I love the "actually DO things" part...that's a big one for me. I'm a great planner, time for a little more follow through (that lasts for more than a week)!
    Hooray for summer and all its possibilities! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been meaning to write more letters - perfect inspiration! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your Summer Manifesto. And I love that photo... it reminds me of seemingly endless summer vacations when I was a kid. OK, I'm off to consider my manifesto... XOXO!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Summer Manifesto sounds absolutely wonderful - I love Picnics but we never do it and the kids love it too, laying in the long grass - so lovely - you have me thinking now - I have to slow down and enjoy things with the kids - we all seem to be running in all directions - thank you for your inspiration

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I love comments.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...